PhD Studentship, Queens University Belfast
The funded doctoral project available is:
"Stories of subsistence: People and Coast over the last 6000 years in the Limfjord, Denmark “
Supervisors: Prof. Paula Reimer and Dr Eileen Murphy (School of GAP), Dr David Ryves Loughborough University). Advisor: Dr Jesper Olsen (Aarhus University)
The Studentship is available to students both from within and outside the EU, but fees are only covered at the UK/EU rate; EU and non-EU students must fulfil a residency requirement to be eligible for full awards. Leverhulme studentship stipends have been set to £13,658 per annum (pa) for 2013-14, plus UK/EU tuition fees. The project is expected to start on 1 April 2013, but the studentship can start on May 1st 2013.
The successful applicant will have a strong background in archaeology or palaeoecology. Some experience with laboratory work is highly desirable and attention to detail during analytical work essential. Ability to travel to Denmark to participate in fieldwork, collect samples from museum collections and undertake some of the laboratory analyses is essential. A full driving licence for fieldwork in Denmark is advantageous.
Further details on the project and application process can be downloaded from here:http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/gap/ProspectiveStudents/PostgraduateStudies/PhDProjects2012-2013/
Online application is available via Queen’s University postgraduate applications portal. The application process for the Strategic PhD studentships involves submitting, via Queen’s University postgraduate application portal, a written research proposal (1000 words, in applicant’s own words), together with a CV and covering letter, all of which must be uploaded via the portal as a single document. The short proposal must be written by the applicant (i.e. not a verbatim copy of the project proposal document) and must demonstrate the applicant's knowledge and understanding of the proposed project.
The covering letter must map students’ own experience/education/interests onto the specific project. As well as these two key documents, other standard applicant details, such as CV, educational qualifications, transcripts, references, etc also need to be uploaded via the QUB portal. Applicants should read the university postgraduate application guidelines carefully.
Prospective applicants should discuss their applications with the project supervisors (Prof Reimer, Dr . Murphy, Dr. Ryves or Dr. Olsen) before submitting their application and also must be prepared to attend an interview held in the School of Geography, Archaeology & Palaeoecology at Queen’s University after shortlisting.
To search for academic and associated community jobs try visiting:
- British Archaeological Job Resource (BAJR)
- ClickAJob - Job search UK - teaching, education, graduate jobs.
- Click4construction is a new job board aimed specifically at construction professionals and end employers in the construction sector.
- Click 4 Teachers offer a choice of jobs for Primary, Secondary and Special Needs teachers.
- earthworks-jobs.com - EARTHWORKS is a world leading on-line database of career opportunities for archaeologists, ecologists, plant scientists, forestry/agricultural scientists, soil scientists, geographers, remote sensing/GIS staff, climate/atmospheric scientists, oceanographers, environmental scientists, geoscientists, geotechnical engineers, petroleum scientists/engineers and hydrologists/hydrogeologists in the academic, water, upstream oil and gas, civil and mining sectors with particular focus on the UK, Europe, Pacific Rim, North America and Africa.
- Jobrapido - Jobrapido differentiates from all traditional job boards, because it enables users to search through all job vacancies posted on all UK websites. We believe this could be a useful service for many of your users.
- HigherCareers.com - Jobs in Higher Education, Science and Research
Post your resume and search for post-docs, postgraduate studentships and jobs in higher education, science and research. Features jobs by email, resume search, and profiles of universities and research institutions in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, United States and New Zealand. Jobs updated daily. Free for job seekers.
- jobs.ac.uk and search for archaeology, ecology or environmental jobs
- jobsunlimited.co.uk (the on-line Guardian newspaper jobs page) and search for archaeology, ecology or environmental jobs.
- the Times Higher Education Supplement (THES) jobs website and search for archaeology, ecology or environmental jobs.